Costs

Before we started the project, I thought it would mostly be about putting time in – running participants, analyzing data, writing, etc. But it turns out that conducting research can cost a good amount of money. We decided up front hat we wanted to offer a generous incentive: we were sort of asking a lot (a whole hour of interview and searching and me badgering questions) and we really wanted students who would be in it just for the money. Our thinking was that those students would be more average (read: representative) in their abilities–going back to the phenomenon of most research participants being high achieving. So for 28 people, that was a good chunk of change.

The next cost to consider was transcription. If you’re recording hour long interviews, you need to have them transcribed so they can be more easily analyzed. We thought about having students do it, but for speed and accuracy reasons, we went with hiring a service, which is a bit more expensive but a lot more reliable. Luckily, Misti was able to obtain a grant from the Indiana University Librarians Association (InULA) that covered a lot of the transcription.

One thing I never thought of was the cost of analysis software. You need pretty powerful software to analyze this kind of data, and I figured a place like IU would definitely have it. Well they do, but it turns out a license is pretty expensive and the department is expected to foot the bill.

For the most part, we were able to get everything covered. And now I see why grant funding on CVs is such a big deal!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *