Spring 2019. American Indian Studies Research Institute.Week 11.

I finally took some time to revisit data cleanup on the Lesser photos sheet.
As I mapped metadata from the sheet to the Box files, I wondered if it was even going to be necessary to keep it. I quickly realized that only the sheet had information about which prints had negatives, since there’s no way to represent that data in Box because it’s not associated with any uploaded file. All other metadata was mapped from the sheet to Box files in addition to their original identifiers. It was important to keep the original identifiers, which were mapped from the original paper copy of the metadata included with the photos, because they were the only proof of the order of narrative sets that needs to be maintained. In fact, if I hadn’t mapped the original metadata to the sheet, and didn’t have the sheet to map file names in Box, there would have been no way for me to organize specific sequences in Box because Box, unfortunately, does not have the functionality to move files around after uploading them, so uploading them in their original order was crucial. The lesson here was, not surprisingly, to keep the sheet. Mapping from the sheet to Box allowed me to integrate copies and descriptive information that was previously recorded as “missing.” This 2nd phase of mapping also allowed me to identify errors, like the fact that there were actually only 2 copies of a particular print, not 4.

Using a shared folder in Box also allowed me to create the 3 groups that I needed to represent the groups as they are now packaged in physical storage. Within the Pawnee group, I was able to create the specific folders I needed to map the specific sequences from the sheet (and original paper copy). The first organization of Box files after uploading first phase groupings included 11 files. After clean up, I got the number down to 5, and I think I have organized and represented the information as best I can to enable AISRI faculty and their research associates to be able to quickly and easily retrieve and interpret. The only challenge was renaming every single file with descriptive info, but that is also the only thing that makes the new records accessible, so I’m glad to have smoothed a path for their future use. I tried to keep naming as consistent with the sheet as possible, and strictly consistent within Box, especially for duplicates, but some of the information had to change due to space constraints.

I’m still researching grants and philanthropists, as well. I added another one to the grant sheet I created, which was from the Sociological Initiatives Foundation, an incredible organization from what I can tell, which I had never heard of before. The other sheet I am making to track philanthropists has 7 entries so far: Bush, Ford, Kellogg, Mellon, and 3 that are exclusively for Indigenous populations: Kalliopeia, Indigena, and Seventh Generation Fund for Indigenous Peoples.

Today is IU Day crowdfunding and AISRI is receiving some donations, which is very encouraging. They also created this beautiful new website for fundraising:
http://www.indiana.edu/~aisri/iuday/

My next post will surely reflect my sentiments about offboarding from this incredible experience.

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *