American Indian Studies Research Institute: Week 4

The Great Grant Search of Spring 2019 continues!

This week, I have become entirely entrenched in learning what funding agencies exist, the types of variations that can be found in different guidelines, and I’ve been reading examples. AISRI uses a lot of grants, especially from the National Endowment for the Humanities. I was able to look at several of their previous proposals, including the proposal AISRI created for the Assiniboine Narratives project in 2006.

The language of the original NEH grant proposal for the Assiniboine Narratives Project explained that it can provide “humanistic insights required to invigorate scholarly study of the American Indian.”

Reading the original language of the Assiniboine Narratives proposal, I was further enlightened about the nature of the institute. The work of linguistics can demonstrate crucial epistemologies, grammatical processes, linguistic variability, change over time, and sources of meaning for dictionaries. I hadn’t previously considered that one of the most important reasons to represent linguistic research online is to share data with other linguists. Linguistics also contribute resources for preserving and teaching in the domains of Folklore, Comparative Literature, History, Religion, Native people themselves, etc.  

I have been fortunate to find that moment again, where my coursework and internship become symbiotic because the final project assignment in Digital Humanities is the development of a grant proposal, and Professor Riddell recently forwarded us information about an NEH grant opening in April for Digital Humanities Advancement. I was curious if the grant could work toward continuing the Assiniboine Narratives project, so I shared the grant with AISRI and I submitted the proposal to my Professor.

Bookmark the permalink.