Weaving a Storyline.

If you were to go on CNN.com right now, at this very minute, you would see at the top of the page next to “Trending” something about the Puerto Rico investigation. If you are not following the news as closely as I do these days, this is referring to how the people of Puerto Rico are calling for the resignation of their governor after his private chat messages were leaked, containing profane comments about people within their own government, other governments, you name it.

The reason why you see several stories associated with the larger topic is because we generated a storyline tag for the protests. When storylines are created, we apply them to any article, video, or gallery published on CNN.com related to that storyline. They are specific to a given topic or event, and the terms associated with it are unique to that storyline. For example, with the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup this year, the terms were relevant to France, this iteration of the World Cup, and other things unique to this event.

What is crazy to believe is that this all happened on Friday. We have a certain threshold we maintain for when we generate a new storyline. When it became clear that we were going to cross that threshold, I began gathering evidence for the new storyline: 2019 Puerto Rico Protests. I noted special phrases and names, like “RickyLeaks” and “Ricky Resign.” I also gathered words and phrases that were used frequently and would be specific to this instance, like “Puerto Rico Governor Resignation” and similar terms. It was a great opportunity to practice the taxonomy language, relating terms and giving evidence to the topic. As new content is generated, these terms and evidence change pertaining to their relevance to the storyline.

In terms of fun and exciting things, I got to visit one of the studios here at CNN Center. Myself and one of the other library interns got the chance to duck down to the CNNI offices, see their newsroom, and the studio that they have on-site. The CNNI studio hosts shows relatively frequently, as sometimes the shows are based in London, but other times they are here in Atlanta. We got to take pictures at the desk, in front of the green screen, and see how a studio looks when it is all lit up for a show.

We then went down the hall to the control room to see how the CNNI show teams operate. It was amazing. The wall of screens, the live conference calls with people around the world, the show runners barking orders into headsets. It was incredibly electric. I just had to stand there and watch. Where I work, I do not get to see how the television side of CNN works. So to spend half an hour witnessing what some of the other interns are doing was a fun change of pace for me.

Next week, I should have more updates about the Puerto Rico events. The impossible task has taken a back seat this week, as it happens in news. Our priorities are constantly shifting depending on the climate of the world, bringing light to things that should be highlighted and tabling things that are losing their relevancy.