Southern Hospitality.

In other words, the fun blog!

Centennial Olympic Park, right outside of CNN Center

Something that is very important to me when it comes to a new academic or work experience is making sure that I embrace the culture of the city where this new life experience is happening. In this case, it is the wonderful city of Atlanta, Georgia.

Fast Facts (thank you, Wikipedia and Atlanta government website): Atlanta, the capital of Georgia, is home to about 500,000 people. It is the birthplace of Martin Luther King, Jr. It was basically burned to the ground during the American Civil War. It also hosts the headquarters of Warner Media (A.K.A., CNN, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Turner Classic Movies, etc.), UPS, Home Depot, Coca-Cola, and Delta Airlines. Not to mention the busiest international airport in the world, Hartsfield-Jackson.

There are probably about 45 interns that work just for CNN here in Atlanta, so it was really easy for me to settle in with a good group of friends. There is a team of us that gets together to do trivia once a week. And we are pretty good, considering I think we have placed in the top 3 all but once.

Turn-Terns take on trivia night

I have also made it my mission to go exploring every weekend. Sometimes I do it with a group of friends, and other times I am perfectly happy going alone. Thus far, I have been to the Center for Civil and Human Rights, the Georgia Aquarium, Stone Mountain, the King Center, and Atlantic Station. I also went and saw Come From Away, the touring Broadway musical about Gander, Newfoundland right after the events of the September 11th terrorist attack (I would definitely recommend listening to the soundtrack on your music platform of choice!).

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Coretta Scott King Memorial
The hiking group at Stone Mountain
The Confederate Memorial Carving at Stone Mountain

The entrance to the National Center for Civil and Human Rights

Still on my list are Ponce City Market, the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum, the Little Five Points neighborhood, Atlanta History Center (and Margaret Mitchell House), and the Piedmont Park Farmer’s Market. It is a good thing the weekend has two days, since this is a lot to accomplish in the next three weeks!

One of the great things about interning here in Atlanta is the Atlanta After 5 summer intern program. Warner Media sponsors the interns to participate in this event that allows us to meet other interns from other companies in the city and explore everything Atlanta has to offer together. Through the program, I have been on a restaurant tour of the Belt Line (Atlanta’s best walking trail), an Atlanta Braves baseball game, and played kickball at one of the originating fields of Atlanta soccer. These Thursday events have been a great way for me to hang out with my fellow interns outside of work.

Post-Atlanta After 5 Field Day

Atlanta is also an amazing place for restaurants. We have gone out to brunch at a new restaurant just about every weekend. I went to this restaurant, Mary Mac’s Tea Room, which is a staple for traditional southern food. I had enough leftovers for two more dinners! And they truly are right: the peach is the staple of the state of Georgia. I have had the best peach cobblers of my entire life in this city.

My dinner at Mary Mac’s Tea Room

It is truly hard to believe I only have three weeks left in this wonderful city. It has been everything I could have wanted and more. From exploring with friends, to visiting new aspects of CNN (shout-out to the Newsroom folks – the work you do is incredible), to coming home happy yet exhausted at the end of the day, this truly has been an incredible summer and I am so glad to have spent it in Atlanta.