Staying Calm in the Chaos of Big Programs

Throughout the semester, there were a couple programs that the library collaborated on with outside organizations, and these programs drew in a lot of patrons. Since several different organizations worked together, the marketing was more expansive and more people learned about the event. A program like this that I experienced is called Seusspicious, which took place around Dr. Seuss’s birthday. It is meant to celebrate Dr. Seuss’s work, life, and the characters that he created. The library puts this on every year, and I was able to help with the planning of it, which was an awesome experience. I created an elephant ear craft that kids could make with paper elephant ears and streamers, and other librarians created a flower craft from Horton Hears a Who, as well as a mural that kids could draw on for I Think I Saw It On Mulberry Street.

On the day of the event, more than 200 people showed up for activities on the ground floor and we were in a room with Bloomington Parks and Recreation. Kids came in to play games with the Parks and Recreation department and make crafts with the children’s department at MCPL. I helped with the craft tables, and it was great to see kids excited to talk about Dr. Seuss and interact with others. But, I also saw how much energy goes into events of these size, even though they are extremely valuable and rewarding. They draw large crowds and create connections within the community, which is a very positive thing for the library, but sometimes it can still be difficult since communication between departments and organizations can be muddled. I am fortunate that I was able to get a behind-the-scenes look at such a large event before entering my career, where I will likely be experiencing more of this.