Finally Finished with Holland Smith

Hello, I hope everyone is doing well. Thank you again for deciding to read my blog about my internship with the Marine Corps.

This past week was kind of exciting. I finally finished everything connected with the Holland Smith collection (refer back to my earlier blog post if you are not familiar with this). By the end of it I had made 932 scans from photos. I had to deleted some of them, but by the time I was finished weeding through the pictures I did not need, I had 850 photos. Once that was finished, I went though and connected descriptions, titles, tags, and other identifying features to each of the photos. That way, whenever they are made public, they will be usable for people moving forward.

The summer is definitely winding down. From here on out I will be given small projects that I can hopefully finish in my last three weeks here. There has also been the last of the intern’s brief sessions on the other parts of the Marine Corps History Division. I don’t know if I had mentioned this aspect of my internship before but has been one of the interesting parts of my internship.

Within the Marine Corps History Division, there are multiple different branches that are ultimately under the Marine Corps University, of which the archives and the rest of the History Division is physically attached as well. To expose the interns to all the parts of the Division, each week we had the head of each branch come and talk to the interns from each of the other branches. These branches include the archives, the reference, historical research, publication, and oral histories (I am probably missing something). It was really interesting to learn about the other careers in history and see how these branches worked together with the archives. I am thankful for the experience and the opportunity to learn so much.

The rest of the week was pretty uneventful, and very quick. It is crazy how little time is left and that soon I will be back in Bloomington completing my last year of college for the foreseeable future. Thank you to everyone that has been with my on this journey, and please comment and share with others that might find this interesting.

Published by mddarlin

Just a Library School student from Indiana University, Bloomington trying to become a professional archivist.

Join the Conversation

2 Comments

1. Malachai,
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have just finished reading them and I feel I was part of your summer. Good job!

2. I have enjoyed your blog posts, Malachi. So glad for your opportunities to learn. Have a great last 3 weeks.