Internship, week 11

With a cleaned up list of scores to order, I worked on two things this week: finding out what scores were actually available to purchase and creating a priority system to order the most pertinent scores within my given budget of $1,500. To find out what scores were available for purchase, I used a few tactics. The first was to go through the vendor websites that I grew familiar with through the ordering process earlier in the semester, and the second was to use Worldcat and find out where certain scores were published. I was fortunate enough that between Theodore Front and Harrassowitz I could find a good number of scores, but the search for the remaining scores through Worldcat proved to be quite laborious. Many scores had very minimal records and would not list complete publishing information while others did list publishing information only to find out that they were no longer in print. Not all the scores I looked up were out of print, so I managed to add a few of those to my list.

Now that I had a list of materials available for purchase, I then prioritized the works based on genre and likely usage. Vocal scores such as solo songs, concerto reductions, and solo instrument works were the highest priority since patrons would most likely check those out because they wouldn’t require coordination with more than 1 other person in order to play them. Smaller chamber works such as string quartets and wind quintets were a medium priority since that would require more coordination and thus patrons would be slightly less inclined to take them on the spot. Finally, large ensemble works such as symphonies and tone poems were the lowest priority, since they had the lowest likelihood of performance, despite those genres being the ones I was most personally interested in.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *