#12 Fin.

And that’s that. Six weeks, done.

The final numbers, at the end of my time, over the course of 200 hours and six weeks:

• 176 series cataloged;
  • 1,403 comic book issues fully cataloged; and
  • 70 issues re-housed and skeleton-cataloged.

Along the way, I learned so much about making judgments with focuses on the users and the goals of the collection, about finding resources to use to make those decisions, and about how the resources we use get shaped for interfaces. I conducted 12 interviews, attended 15 meetings (both in large groups and in one-on-one sessions), took two tours, and talked to many, many people all around the JMU libraries.

It was hard having to say good-bye. There’s so much more I wanted to work on with the project and with that team; but I’m glad I had the chance, when I did, to do what I could to work on such an important collection with such a well-formed group of individuals.

Perhaps the biggest thing I’ve gained from this internship is the knowledge that I want to work in an academic or research library or institution. The community; the mixture of work, scholarship, and service; the growth and development that I’ve seen happen in one – I’m not sure what I particularly want to do in it (I left most interviews thinking, “I want a job just like that one”), but I want to be a part of it. There’s this largeness of librarianship that you just don’t really realize in library school – but it’s not a one-size-fits-all job, there’s so many different varieties and positions and goals that make up libraries, and that’s something I saw a lot of during my time in Virginia.

I’m excited for what that means. I feel like my future got a little big bigger. That wasn’t a goal, but I’ll take it.

And that’s all. Time to go and read some comic books.

Fin.