Display Day

A couple of weeks ago was Display Day – the climax event for all of the Junior Fellows. For five hours, the fellows set up in the Jefferson Building of the Library of Congress, each with a table of items pertaining to their individual projects, and shared their stories with the public, Library employees, and each other.

At my table, I showed some examples of unused and earlier versions of unpublished Disney scores from Cinderella. With them I told the story of how copyright deposits capture the creative process and explained the potential research value that these film scores can have. I also had a laptop where visitors could listen to the demo recordings of these unused songs. It was so fun to interact with various Disney fans of all backgrounds and ages as they realized and learned more about the process of creating an animated film! It was also very rewarding to share what this internship has meant to me as visitors asked about my summer and career goals.

And then, of course, it was wonderful getting to see what all of the other fellows have been working on during their 10 weeks at the Library. I saw material-science lab supplies, miniature books, home films, recordings of oral history, decorative material in non-Western languages, and much, much, more. It felt an honor to be a part of such an impressive group of young people. While I’m glad the stress of Display Day preparation is long gone, I grieve the coming end of what has been an incredible summer with an incredible Library.

1 thought on “Display Day